Tuesday 8 November 2011

Lulu- Lou Reed and Metallica album Review


Lou Reed and Metallica played Live on Later... tonight, I'm so impassioned I'm going to post my album review early. 
 
Right! I'm trying to ignore all the bad press on this album. I'm going to just sit back and press play, see what comes into my mind. I love Lou Reed, I really do. I even love his live shows still, I like his dry vocals and even think the out of tune and rhythm singing adds to the music.  I can give or take Metallica and I have horrible memories of when I attempted to be a mosher when I was a kid. The one main problem was that I hated metal...






Brandenburg Gate
It sounds like a slower darker 'romeo and juliet' and metallica's heavy thick sound really works, I do find myself singing 'Small Town Girl' backing vocals provided by Hetfield. So far they have won me over and I'm thinking...Why the hell didn't they put this out as their first single off the album!

The View
This is the song that caused thousands of bloggers and music specials crindge, I don't really like it. But it's quite comic 'I am the view, I am the table.' I think it's one of the tracks I'd skip on my daily commute.

Pumping Blood
At points it seems like Lou is trying to channel Patti Smith's horses in his vocal, I think I will have to agree with Reviewer Julian Marszalek of The Quietus who commented that "the effect is that of Lou Reed ranting over some Metallica demos that were never intended for human consumption."

Mistress Dread
It reminds me a bit of one of the old velvet underground 15 minuet jams, but without the melody or experimental genius. I feel like it should have been a 2-minuet track rather than nearly 7.

Iced Honey
Now this is more like it, the track seems more like late 70's or early 80's lou reed with a heavier edge. It got a pop hook and Lou is coming over pretty cool. Iced Honey is a catchy chorus, a its an uplifting song that is a great relief after the last couple of songs. This is more like what I expected after hearing Lou and Metallica play sweet Jane at the rock and roll hall of fame 2009.

Cheat on Me
At the start of this track I get the same vibe from Lynch's new album, unsettling. I'm wondering where it's going. Will it be catchy or uninteresting? A minuet and twenty seconds I'm still not sure, three minutes in and I’m still not sure. Not a very interesting track, It seems more like a 11 minuet sketch of a song

Frustration
Very passionate, I actually like it. Lou Reed is spitting venom and then an unusual polka, show tune vibe from Lou Reed's vocals with Lars drum solo underneath. Quite a tasty riff(sic), I'm getting into it. I don't think i'd listen to it all the time, but it's all right. It defiantly draws you in and is incredibly dark.

Little Dog
A pointless song, it seems like the type of track 'buffello bill' would write in Silence of the Lambs.' I found myself waiting and waiting for it to kick in. I think this track should have been called frustration.

Dragon
More of the same 11 minuets of Lou Reed talking over Metallica jamming. I can feel myself getting irritated and bored. But I will push on as there is only one track left, lets hope it's a good one.

Junior Dad
This track is beautiful, joy divisionesque sounding. Lou Reed sounds frail and in need, even sweet. You want to lie down in a dark room and just listen, the sounds wash over you. 20 minuets for a track does seem to long, but this is here to help you wind down. I can imagine listening to it with a cup of camomile tea and just drifting off.

Well that's it, I’ve just gone through the whole album! This collection of songs physically wear you out, it is defiantly an experience listening to them. I don't think I've ever experienced this sort of dragging dark feeling before and I guess that makes the album genius? It's very, very unusual and takes you places you've never been before. I think I might have a few beers and listen again. I will be putting Brandenburg Gate and Iced Honey on the Ipod.

UPDATE
Darren Aronofsky is set to make iced honey music video
Drummer Larrs Comments, 'As if making a record with Lou Reed is not enough... now I get to make a video with Darren Aronofsky, who has been among my very favorite filmmakers since his first movie, Pi. This is turning into a monumental chapter in the on-going saga entitled 'Lars Ulrich.living the dream!!!'
You can buy the record here or check out more info on lou reeds website 
Lets hear your opinion, email me givedaddytheknifecindy@hotmail.com
Listen to GDTKC Podcast 1

No comments:

Post a Comment